Homework Free Holidays
In an effort to promote the healthy social, mental and physical well-being of our students, East Brunswick Public Schools has planned a homework-free schedule for students across the district during winter and spring breaks as well as other designated holidays throughout the year.
At a time when students across the nation are reporting unprecedented levels of stress, these breaks will allow students to experience a true holiday period to mentally step away from academic demands and enjoy unstructured time to read for pleasure, explore topics they are passionate about, spend time with family, enjoy outside activities, volunteer, travel or attend other local events. Our students will return to school re-energized, well-rested, well-balanced and perform better in every aspect of their lives.
To that end, there will be no homework assigned over Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Diwali, the long weekend of the NJEA Convention, Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks, Chinese New Year, Presidents’ Weekend, Coptic Holidays and Eid. To preserve the intent of the scheduled breaks, no projects will be due or tests given immediately upon return from these holidays.
“Homework Free" dates to span the 2018-2019 school year:
- Rosh Hashanah - September 10-11, 2018
- Yom Kippur - September 19, 2018
- Diwali - November 7, 2018
- Teachers Convention November 8, 2018 - November 9, 2018
- Thanksgiving - November 21, 2018 - November 25, 2018
- Winter Break - December 21, 2018 - January 2, 2019
- Coptic (Orthodox) Christmas January 7, 2019
- Chinese New Year - February 5, 2019
- Presidents’ Weekend - February 15, 2019 - February 18, 2019
- Spring Break - April 12, 2019 - April 22, 2019
- Coptic (Orthodox) Good - Friday April 26, 2019
- Eid Al-Fitr - June 3, 2019 - June 5, 2019
Thank you for supporting our Homework Free Holidays initiative. Questions may be directed to Joyce Boley, Assistant Superintendent of Academics.