Over recent years, the following systems and processes were put in place to support sustainability.
- All district copier/printer paper purchased is recycled
- Papercut system in place to allow for centralized printing and cloud-based scanning for a reduction in printing.
- Report cards are processed electronically through the parent portal.
- Parent forms, emergency information, and consents are being done electronically.
- Docusign used for technology acceptance agreements.
- Developing a plan to reduce the use of plastic in foodservice
- Reducing the number of trays used at CJHS and EBHS - using paper plates and serving “boats” in their place
- Overall reduction in the number of lunch trays used throughout the district
- Elimination of foam trays at all schools - using eco-friendly trays in their place
- Reducing the use of plastic containers - using bags (plastic and paper) in their place.
Curriculum & Instruction
- Curriculum documents are created and housed electronically; printed copies are no longer distributed.
- Lesson plans and associated supervisor feedback is all done electronically.
- All employee payments are made via direct deposit, no more paper checks. Includes salary and reimbursements.
- Pay stubs and tax information stored electronically. Employees can print, if needed, on-demand.
- Processing of purchase orders is done electronically. Only the final copy is printed if needed to mail to the vendor.
- Online registration and payment for all clubs, activities, and sports.
- Secondary schools use check scanning technology to eliminate the need to transport checks to the bank.
- All applications are completed, collected and routed online in Applitrack
- Group interviews and collaborative efforts are done online via Google Docs and Office365.
- Staff notifications, such as RICE letters are done via email.
- The employee handbook is distributed online.
- Staff acknowledgments are done electronically via Docusign.
We have developed new systems specifically to eliminate the need for paper, as well as sending the associated document via inter-office mail:
- System to request, approve, and process field trips
- System to request, approve, and process professional development, including an online catalog for offerings.
- 1:1 initiative has allowed for a significant reduction in paper. Since every student grades 10 through 12 has a laptop, documents are electronic. This aids us in our effort for a 'paper-free' classroom.
- All printer cartridges are recycled.
- IEPs and Progress Reports are shared electronically (formerly needed seven copies of a 30-page long document)
- Important annual documents are shared via email
- Parent Access is used for ESY registration and Medicaid consent
- Summer mailings are done via e-mail
- Student Information Forms are completed electronically through Parent Access / Genesis
- Blackboard Connect and Electronic Backpacks are utilized for communication purposes
- Centralized student registration utilizes an electronic pre-registration platform
- EBEF and PTA applications have migrated to an electronic platform since 2017
- Use of energy management system to control HVAC. Reduces the use of electricity and gas in unoccupied rooms
- Energy Savings Initiatives Program
- Replacement of district-wide lighting with energy-efficient long-life LED lights; Reduces the number of light bulbs placed in landfills
- Decrease in electricity usage
- Solar Project - Solar panels to be installed at five buildings in the district
- Cleaning supplies utilize reusable dispensers and bottles.
- Replaced windows and doors at Chittick and Irwin.
- Replaced unit ventilators in elementary schools.