Welcome to 7th Grade Social Studies!
Welcome to Social Studies! I am excited about the opportunity to get to know you, and I am looking forward to a happy and productive school year. This year we will begin with developing skills for social studies. Throughout the year, we will explore medieval times in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, as well as the Renaissance and growth of the modern age in Europe and the Americas. This year, we will explore the world with the help of a brand new interactive, computer based program called History Alive! I will keep a basic calendar and our Table of Contents on this website. The Google Classroom and your History Alive account will be helpful for day to day assignments you need to complete.
Next Thursday, May 23rd will be your Renaissance Essay Test. Use your handouts and textbooks (Lessons 27-30 and 33) to consider the following questions to review for the test. We have covered the first three in class so far and will address the last two in the next week before the text.
- What was the Renaissance? What were the key beliefs behind it?
- Why did the Renaissance occur in the late 1300s, following the Black Death?
- Who were the key thinkers of the Renaissance and what kind of new ideas did they spread?
- What led to the weakening of the Catholic Church and the start of the Reformation?
- How did the Scientific Revolution change people's view of the world?