Encouraging reading on a daily basis is one of the most important things you can do to help your child be successful. It can be tough finding a “just right” book to keep them interested, which is why I am so excited that our class will be participating in the Scholastic Reading Club this school year.
With Scholastic Reading Club:
• Every book you buy earns FREE books for our classroom library!
• You can choose from handpicked, grade, and reading-level-specific books for your child.
• You’ll find the best values on a variety of formats, including eBooks.
Each month, your child will bring home Reading Club flyers. Together you can choose from books hand-selected by teachers and experts, and then order online. There is no need to send the money to school.
To get started, go to the website below and create an account. Enter the class activation code: JGQ4C . Please be sure to submit the order by the due date listed.
Reading is Thinking!
1. VISUALIZE: Make a movie in your head.
2. QUESTION: Ask yourself who, what, when, where, and why.
3. CLARIFY: Not sure about a word? Reread the words you just read. Look at the pictures.
4. PREDICT: Ask yourself "What will happen next?"
5. CONNECT: Make connections! Text to Self - Connect a book to your life. Text to Text - Connect a book to another book. Text to World - Connect a book to the world (movies, games, news...).
6. REACT: "This book makes me feel_________!"
7. SUMMARIZE: State the most important things about the text.
What do you do when you come to a tricky word?
1. Skip a word and read the rest of the sentence: Use clues within the sentence to try and figure out the word (must use a word that makes sense).
2. Substitute with another word that makes sense.
3. Use picture clues.
4. Look at the beginning letters of the unknown word and try to sound it out.