What is Fundations?
- Fundations is phonological/phonemic awareness, phonics and spelling program, which is a multi-sensory approach. It is a fabulous foundation for reading, spelling, and handwriting.
- Skills and tools are provided for a structured and sequential spelling/phonics program, which is incorporated into a thirty minute session each day.
- Some components of the program are:
Drill Sounds Warm-Up
Echo/Find Letters and Words
Sky Write/Letter Formation
Introduce New Concepts
Guess Which One
Make It Fun
Dictation (Dry Erase or Composition Book)
Word of the Day
- Students are taught to write using the following lines: sky line, plane line, grass line, and worm line. The children sky write, trace, and tap out words.
- Teachers model using the owl puppet, "Echo." The puppet directs students to repeat letters, key words, and sounds. "Baby Echo" joins in on the fun, too!
- Skill development includes:
Phonological and phonemic awareness
Irregular (trick) words
Fundations in action: