Introduction to English Courses
All East Brunswick students are required to take English every year from grades 7-12. Seventh grade students must take English 7 or English 7 Honors. Eighth grade students must take English 8 or English 8 Honors. Ninth grade students must take English 9 or English 9 Honors. Sophomores must take English 10 or English 10 Honors. Juniors must take English 11, English 11 Honors, or AP Language and Composition. Seniors must take English 12, College Writing Honors, or AP Literature and Composition. Each of the required courses emphasizes the major strands of the language arts:
- Reading—analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of significant works of literature.
- Writing—emphasis on expository writing in a variety of modes for a variety of audiences.
- Speaking—large and small group discussion, individual presentations.
- Listening—active and purposeful engagement.
- Viewing—utilization of media literacy.
- Skills—research skills and application, vocabulary development, grammar/syntax/usage, study skills.
It is strongly recommended that all students enroll in those courses that will optimize the development of lifelong communications skills and the opportunity for further education.