YES, AM Band rehearsals and lessons will continue during PARCC! Why?
- To avoid disruption to your child's routine
- To ensure your child does more than point and click at a screen this month
- Because band teaches teamwork, fine motor skills, language skills, math skills, problem solving, critical thinking, and grit. It's important.
- Because music study has been proven to improve cognitive function and test scores (more information at broaderminded.com)
- To prepare your children for their two concerts in May (dates here) so they can have a positive performance experience, and you can have a positive listening experience
To these ends, students will NOT be excused from AM rehearsal or lessons due to standardized testing. Rehearsals and lessons will not conflict with testing times. It is important to have all of our members at every lesson and rehearsal, on time and prepared, so your children can practice effectively.
Attendance and timeliness at AM rehearsals are particularly important. Could you imagine waking up for a morning business meeting, showing up on time and prepared, and finding that half of your colleagues slept through it? The meeting wouldn't be as productive as it should, and it would be unfair to those who woke up early and were ready to go. Thank you for helping to teach our 5th graders this lesson now.
Welcome, Band Parents!
Use the tabs at the left to navigate this site. If you are on mobile, please click the PAGES button at the top left.
Click here to view the band dates and times for the 2016-17 school year at Irwin, Central, Warnsdorfer, and Frost Schools.
Events include mandatory full ensemble rehearsals (before school from 7:50-8:45 AM), spring and winter concerts, and the All-District Elementary Band concert. Please note that ALL 5th grade band students participate in the All-District concert.
Click here to enroll your 5th grader in band class online!
Need an instrument?
If you plan to rent your child's instrument from The Music Shop, click here to access The Music Shop's online rental instructions. You can order your child's instrument online at themusicshop.com. Our school code is 1318. If you have decided to purchase an instrument for your child, own an instrument that needs repair, or would like to discuss a financial concern, please contact Ms. Nichols.
How can I support my child?
The Music Parents' Guide by Anthony Mazzocchi is full of great information for parents of young musicians. A copy of the book is included with instrument rentals from The Music Shop.